Looking for fun and cool way to spend a day with the kiddies and you live in the New York City tri-state area or even if you’re planning a visit to the city this summer, you should definitely check out the New York Aquarium’s latest interactive extravaganza A-MAZE-ING Water.
A-MAZE-ING Water is a fun, new summer-only exhibit that features a 1,500-square-foot maze called “Water’s Extreme Journey” which draws attention to the environmental threats that plague the world’s oceans, lakes, rivers and watershed habitats along with the importance of water conservation.
Inside the maze, children can learn about the importance of H20 by riding a zipline through pollutants, put together puzzles that explain the water cycle and spin a wildlife-themed wheel of facts all the while learning about the importance of water and the efforts being made to protect marine species.
- Take Action Mailbox Station – Children can draw pictures and make collages while adults can write letters based on their experience at in the maze to show their support of clean water initiatives. All of the drawings and letters will be sent to local legislators via the NY Aquarium.
- Giant Community Mosaic – Using their imagination, families can help create more than 600 mosaic tiles that combine to make a large-scale work of art.
- Model of Local Watershed – See how pollutants turn into run-off that can affect our drinking water and how it impacts the health of our oceans.
- New York Seascape Interactive– Explore the New York Bight to discover the remarkable diversity of marine life that lives in local waters through an interactive game.
- Water-themed Art Exhibition: The aquarium’s Ocean View Room will be transformed into an art gallery featuring works of art that celebrate the importance, vitality, and beauty of water.
The Wildlife Conservation Society’s New York Aquarium opens every day of the year at 10am, and closing times vary seasonally. Admission is $14.95 for adults, $10.95 for children ages 3-12 and $11.95 for senior citizens (65 and older); children under 3 years of age are admitted free. Fridays after 3pm, admission is by suggested donation. The Aquarium is located on Surf Avenue at West 8th Street in Coney Island.
A-MAZE-ING Water is free with your general admission to the New York Aquarium. If you buy your tickets in advance online you can get a 10% total discount which is a great family value. For more information go to: http://www.nyaquarium.com/a-maze-ing-water/.
The Wildlife Conservation Society, founded in 1895, has the clear mission to save wildlife and wild places across the globe. During their 115 years, they have forged the power of their global conservation work and management of five parks in New York City to create the world’s most comprehensive conservation organization. They manage about 500 conservation projects in more than 60 countries; and educate millions of visitors at their five living institutions in New York City on important issues affecting our planet. Their five parks include the Bronx Zoo, New York Aquarium, Central Park Zoo, Prospect Park Zoo and Queens Zoo. The WCS parks in New York city welcome 4 million visitors each year, and help the city to educate millions of schoolchildren in science and conservation issues.
You can follow the WCS and affiliated parks on Facebook:
Wildlife Conservation Society http://www.facebook.com/TheWCS
Bronx Zoo www.facebook.com/bronxzoo
Central Park Zoo http://www.facebook.com/centralparkzoo
Queens Zoo http://www.facebook.com/queenszoo
Prospect Park Zoo http://www.facebook.com/prospectparkzoo
New York Aquarium http://www.facebook.com/nyaquarium
And on Twitter at:
For full disclosure: The Harried Mom is participating in a sponsored ambassador program from the Bronx Zoo/NY Aquarium. As part of this program, I have received a complimentary premium family membership and merchandise for specific posts related to programming. I’ll be offering first-hand experiences and reviews of the attractions and special events. As always, all the opinions expressed in these posts and on my blog are my very own.
Copyright © 2012 The Harried Mom. All Rights Reserved.