She loves nothing more than being outside, enjoying the sun and running around the yard with the kidlets, chasing down her squeaky football and even going down an 6 foot slide from the clubhouse with her human siblings (yes, she actually does this – we call her ‘Circus Dog’ when she does it)!
About mid-afternoon, after all that running around, the kidlets are hungry for a snack. I let the kidlets each pick out an item from our snack bin, fridge or freezer and then sit on the deck or in the yard to eat it. Bailey always looks at me with such sad eyes, like in the photo above… and I imagine she’s saying: “Hey ma, I’m hungry too! Where’s my snack bin to pick a yummy treat out of?”
Why should the kidlets have a snack bin and not Bailey? Bailey is just like one of our kidlets, albeit a furry one. So I decided to #ShareFunshine and make her very own doggie treat jar!
This is a totally simple and quick craft to make and needs only a minimal amount of materials to create. It’s even a craft that the kids could make along with you.
I think the hardest part about this craft was finding a container that was big enough to fit treats in, had a wide enough mouth so I could easily stick my hand into and have a tight, resealable lid. I wound up opting for a large glass jar that had a clamp lid on it. I also chose glass because it made an easy surface to craft on with stickers and ribbon – but I think a plastic one would definitely work too.
Here’s how I did it:
Glass container with hinged lid
Alphabet stickers –in both large & small in black and white
Paw print stickers
Chalkboard label stickers
Rhinestone crystal stickers
Paw print ribbon
Dog/paw print charm
Hot glue gun
- Remove all stickers from container and make sure it is clean and totally dry before starting.
- Take the paw print ribbon and make a border around the entire jar about a quarter of the way up from the bottom. Carefully fasten with hot glue.
- Take the small alphabet stickers and spell out words such as “Treats,” “Snacks,” “Goodies,” “Cookies” or “Bones” on the chalkboard label stickers. You can be like me and put all a few of them on one label.
- Center the finished chalkboard label sticker on the jar, just above the paw print ribbon border.
- Add some ‘bling’ to your chalkboard label sticker with a few of the rhinestone crystal stickers.
- Take the large alphabet stickers and spell out your pet’s name just above the now fastened chalkboard label sticker. Don’t forget to add an ‘s so that your dog will know that’s THEIR treat jar.
- Decorate the other sides of the jar with the paw print stickers and remaining rhinestone crystal stickers.
- Take rat-tail cord and wrap it around the neck of the jar several times and lace on the dog/paw print charm before tying string off.
- Add treats!
Before I headed out to the store to get some tasty treats for both Bailey’s new jar and for us humans, I clicked here to get instant savings on some great #ShareFunshine items — M&M’s®, SNICKERS® Ice Cream Bars, Pedigree Dentastix® and even Dr Pepper® Cherry and Skittles®! While there I also checked out their Share a Little Funshine Sweepstakes, there’s a $100 Walmart e-card up for grabs each day.
I wound up visiting my local Walmart and filled up my shopping cart with lots of #ShareFunshine treats for summer!
I started out in the pet section, of course, and picked up some Pedigree Dentastix® in both Original and Beef Flavor for Bailey’s new treat jar.
In the freezer section, for us humans, I picked up some cool treats – a box of M&M’s® Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches and SNICKERS® Ice Cream Bars.
In the candy section, I snagged a bag of Life Savers® Hard Candy – because they’re literally “a hole lot of fun!”
So now the kidlets and I are enjoying our yummy summer treats and Bailey’s tail wags a mile a minute when she sees one of us heading over to her doggie treat jar to hand her one of her new Dentastix treats!
She’s one happy snack puppy!
**Download the Blippar app from your Apple or Android store to scan your packages while shopping and receive exclusive content, games & more!
Now its your turn to share. How will you #ShareFunshine this summer?
Copyright © 2015 The Harried Mom. All Rights Reserved.