Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. It’s a time for the 3 Fs: family, friends and food. I also love a good parade and I’ve only ever missed seeing one Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade when The Hubs & I were returning from our honeymoon eight years ago!
It is also a day that is devoted to deep thankfulness. I try to be thankful on a daily basis – for both the big and little things in life, but I know it is easy to take the everyday things for granted, that is until we don’t have them so readily. I learned that lesson in spades with Hurricane Sandy a few weeks back, with no heat, no hot water or electricity. It really made me think how fortunate and blessed I am.
Throughout the past month, lots of my blogger friends have taken part in daily or weekly gratitude lists and I’ve been really moved by some and brought to laughter with others. I wanted to join in the thankfulist myself, so here is what I am thankful for, in no particular order:
- My family. Having The Hubs by my side as a source of strength and love makes any day a good one in my book. Seeing my kidlets smile and wanting to cuddle with their mom, makes me feel a deep sense of love and belonging. It’s a great feeling to be wanted!
- My home. There are always things that need to be done and things to fix, but I realize how lucky we are to have a warm and safe place to call our very own.
- My friends. Some have been around forever while others I’ve met in the past year, but they all in their own way make me feel proud to be their friend and confidant.
- Bad TV. Whether it is a drama, comedy or reality, either from the 60s, 70s, 80s or today, bad tv is my ultimate guilty pleasure and my escape from whatever is troubling me at least for 42 minutes!
- Cleaning products. With two kidlets and a dog, there’s crayon drawings to take off the wall and puppy presents that need to be eliminated. The stronger the cleaning product is, the deeper my affection. A special thanks to the creators of Magic Eraser, I go through packages of those erasers like it’s going out of style.
- My crock pot. A working mom’s dream. I just toss in a few ingredients, plug it in and in six hours have a perfect meal for the family without the fuss of following twenty steps in a recipe.
- Living in the USA. With fighting in Afghanistan and now in Israel, I am thankful that I live in a country where I am free and do not have to worry about government prosecution for my beliefs and the ability to make my own choices.
- Play Doh. As much as I hate the stuff (it is sooo messy and gets ground in everywhere), it’s the one surefire toy/activity that can keep them occupied for a long time. It’s been my hero when I’ve needed to make an important phone call or finish up one last piece of work from the office.
A few other things I’m thankful for: comfy shoes, big purses, police officers, firemen and EMT workers, chicken nuggets, 0 calorie drinks, IRS refunds and anything involving chocolate and peanut butter.
And I could of course not forget, that I am very thankful to you who come and read this blog, follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest. Being able to connect with you about parenthood and life and reading your comments lets me know that I am not a crazy lady!
Now it’s your turn to share. What are you thankful for?
Copyright © 2012 The Harried Mom. All Rights Reserved.