This weekend I had one of those “you know you’re a mom when” moments. It came as I sat with the Hubs and our two kidlets at Monster Jam**. In case you’re not familiar with Monster Jam, it is the world’s largest monster truck tour and features the biggest names in monster trucks vying in events such as truck racing and freestyle competitions. My 2 ½ year old daughter asked me the names of the monster trucks and without hesitation, I started rattling off their names — Grave Digger, El Toro Loco, Spiderman, Madusa, Grave Digger “the Legend,” Maximum Destruction and my personal favorite, Monster Mutt, without even looking at the show program.
Grave Digger El Toro Loco
How could an almost 40-year-old woman who has no interest whatsoever in anything motor-sport related know this info? It’s because I’m a mom who has been playing with miniature versions of these guys since the moment my son started playing with toys.
I mentioned it to another mom at work and we immediately started comparing our “a-ha,” mom-realization moments. So here’s my top 10 list of “You Know You’re A Mom When” moments:
1. You’re more likely to find snacks, diapers, Wet Wipes, pacifiers, toys, an extra pair of children’s underwear and kiddie sunglasses in your purse instead of a makeup bag or lip gloss.
2. You’re driving along and start singing the theme song to “Thomas The Tank Engine,” “Sesame Street,” “Mickey Mouse Clubhouse” or “The Backyardigans” and realize that the kidlets aren’t in the car with you.
3. It’s cause for celebration when someone poops in the potty.
4. You start using words like “poop” and “potty” (see above) in everyday conversation.
5. You can talk on the phone, help your child build Legos, put the groceries away and cook dinner using only one hand and all at the same time.
6. Going grocery shopping alone is considered “me time.”
7. You’re always carrying loads of stuff around, in your hands, purse or pockets and it’s never anything of your own.
8. All of your errands and outings are scheduled around meals, snacks and nap time.
9. The hot topic of discussion with your mommy friends is about whine and not wine
10. You hear your own mother’s words of wisdom coming out of your mouth.
Now it’s your turn to share. What is your “you know you’re a mom when” moment?
** Thanks to Bergen Mama for the Monster Jam family four-pack of tickets I won on their web site. Winning made me the “coolest mom” to my son!
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-30353603-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);
Copyright © 2012 The Harried Mom. All Rights Reserved.